Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Week 5 Storytelling: The Little Witch's Mabon

(Halloween Witch Painting Blythe Insprited by Noelle)

Once upon a Mabon, the Little Witch and her Mother started to make the feast for the Sabbat. But when she started to make the Mabon Apple Bread, she was dismayed to find that she had no Apples.

"Little Witch, Little Witch, I need Apples for my Mabon Apple Bread," her Mother told her.

"Yes, Mother, I'll go to the Market to get them for you," said the Little Witch.

So, the Little Witch, went to the Market to get a couple of Apples, and found the Apple Stand.

"Apple Vendor, Apple Vendor, I need a couple of Apples," said the Little Witch.

"I am out of apples, Little Witch," he told her. "Go to the Orchard and get Apples from my Apple Picker, and bring some for me too."

So, the Little Witch ran to the Orchard and found the Apple Picker.

"Apple Picker, Apple Picker, I need a couple of Apples," said the Little Witch.

"I will give you my Apples, but first I need a Basket from the Basket Weaver," the Apple Picker told her.

So, the Little Witch went back to the Market, and found the Basket Weaver.

"Basket Weaver, Basket Weaver, I need a Basket," said the Little Witch.

"I will give you a Basket, but I first need Straw from the Farmer to weave it," the Weaver told her.

So, the Little Witch went to Farm nearby, and found the Farmer.

"Farmer, Farmer, I need Straw," said the Little Witch.

"I will give you Straw, but first I need a Sickle from the Blacksmith to cut the Straw," the Farmer told her.

So, the Little Witch went to the Blacksmith Shop and found the Blacksmith.

"Blacksmith, Blacksmith, I need a Sickle," said the Little Witch.

"I will give you a sickle, but first I need Iron from the Miner to forge the Sickle," the Blacksmith told her.

So, the Little Witch went down into the Mintes and found a Miner.

"Miner, Miner, I need Iron," said the Little Witch.

"You are in luck. I have just mined a cart full of Iron," he told her. "Here you go, Little Witch."

So, the Little Witch went: to the Blacksmith who forged her a Sickle with the Iron, to the Farmer who cut the Straw with the Sickle, to the Weaver who weaved a Basket with the Straw, to the Apple Picker who placed a couple of Apples in the Basket, to the Apple Vender to bring him some Apples.

And then finally, the Little Witch went home and gave her Mother the Basket full of Apples.

Her Mother thanked her, and started to make the Mabon Apple Bread.

"Oh no!" Her Mother exclaimed. "We're out of Flour!"

The End

Author's Note:
I based my story off of the cumulative tale, The Sad Tale of the Mouse's Tale. If you aren't familiar with a cumulative story, well, you should have a pretty good idea of how that works after reading my story. I have never written something like this, so it was definitely a Growth Mindset challenge for me! My usual things are first-person fantasy involving Vampires or Faeries. But, as you see, I didn't stray too far as far as characters go. Today is the Pagan (and therefore Wiccan) holiday of Mabon! It celebreates the second harvest, and is basically a Pagan/Wiccan Thanksgiving. With this holiday or Sabbat as it is called by Pagans/Wiccans, I thought of a Mabon-themed cumulative tale! This was a lot of fun to write. I do feel bad for the bittersweet ending, but I had to kind of keep in the spirit of the story that I based it on!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    I really enjoyed reading this story. The frustration as a reader is palpable. I just want the Little Witch to get apples! She goes through so many tasks to do so. While you thought that the ending is bittersweet -- which it is, I thought it was a bit comical. It felt like something that you would see off of a sitcom, where the character does all these tasks just to end with essentially having to do it again. You did a really good job in execution. I look forward to reading more of your works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this story! As I said in the author's note, I've never written a story like this, so I'm so happy you think I did a great job! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren! That was a nice read. I also learned a little something about Wiccans/Pagans along the way, so I really enjoyed that. I agree with Christina about how the ending was a little comical because the Little Witch went through so much to get some Apples and they didn’t have Flour in the end. What a great way to execute a Growth Mindset challenge. I might try that in one of my future stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the story and the information! Mabon is something I recently learned about, and have been really fascinated by it. I'm glad you liked the ending! It actually originally ended with them making the bread and having a great Mabon, but I was like no, this is too sappy haha, so thus this ending emerged.

      Delete
  3. All I have got to say is that bread better be good! That is a lot to go through just to get a couple apples. If I was that little witch and my mom remembered she forgot something else I might have just moved out at that point! I’m not familiar with the original but this was a pretty cute story, so good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little witch had 10 times for patients then I would have ever had. By the time the 2nd person told me they needed something I would've told them never mind. All in all the story was consistent. I've read several of your stories and this one definitely not your typical work. I just hope that bread gets made for all that poor girl's work!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?