Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Project Topics

Topics for my project:
1. The Origins of Vampires

(Image by: Dean Terry)
  • Storybook Topic: Creatures of the Night
  • Comments: Vampires are my favorite supernatural creature. I think it all started with Ann Rice's Interview with the vampire, and well, it escalated from there. I also write Young Adult Vampire Romances. But I want to learn more about the origin of vampires, via mythology. I also want to read Gothic texts that were the precursors to what is now paranormal (or vampire) romance!
  • Possible Stories: The Gothic Texts section of the Internet Sacred Text Archive. Stories include: The Vampire: Kith and Kin by Montague Summers, The Vampyre by John Polidori, and Vikram and The Vampire by Sir Richard R. Burton.
  • Sample Story: The Vampyre by John Polidori
  • Bibliography Information: The Vampyre by John Polidori (1819). Web source: Sacred Texts Archive.
2. The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde
  • Storybook Topic: The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde (I hope that is focused enough? Or do I need to only select one of his fairy tales?)
  • Comments: Oscar Wilde is my favorite writer, ever since I first read The Importance of Being Ernest. My love for his writing only increased when I read The Picture of Dorian Gray. Professor Gibbs showed me his fairy tales, and I fell in love again
  • Possible Stories: The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde including: "The Nightingale and the Rose", "The Young King", and "The Happy Prince".
  • Sample Story: "The Nightingale and the Rose
  • Bibliography Information: "The Nightingale and the Rose, The Happy Prince and Other Tales, by Oscar Wilde (1888), Web Source: SurLaLune.
3. Norse Mythology:
4. Dante's Inferno
  • Storybook Topic: City of Dis: The Joyless City
  • Comments: I have always been interested in Dante's Inferno. I find his depiction of Hell to be really cool (to have a lack of a better word.) I find his concept of the circles of Hell allocated to each sin to be really interesting. Also, I read Dante's Inferno for my extra reading, and I found the City of Dis to be the most interesting circle of Hell, therefore I would love to study it more in depth. 
  • Possible Stories: The best resource for this will be the Dante's Inferno Reading Unit.
  • Sample Story: "The Fallen Angels" from Dante's Inferno, which contains the City of Dis. 
  • Bibliography Information: Dante: The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (1317), translated by: A. S. Kline (2002). Web source: Poetry in Translation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?