Sunday, September 20, 2015

Week 4: Growth Mindset

This week for my Growth Mindset I practiced something that I struggle with! This is something that is usually the opposite of most people's problems when it comes to writing. The problem? Writing too much!

This week I turned in my Storytelling post, and did not realize until Laura e-mailed me, that I had written far over the word count!

So to challenge myself, I cut the story down to a little less than 1,000 words! I'm actually really proud of myself that I was able to do that, since I think every word is precious in a story, and it's literally a bit painful to cut the words out!

This is an important thing to learn however, especially since I am a Professional Writer. There will be times that my Editor will tell me to cut certain things out of my novel. Or if I want to publish a short story I'll have to go by their required word count.

The point is, that this week's Growth Mindset was extremely helpful for me, and I may have to do this challenge a few times!
(Image by: Laura Gibbs)

I was definitely out of my comfort zone this week, when I tightened up my story--but I have to admit, the story was better after editing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?