Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Week 2: Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset Challenge:

This week I did the Reading Challenge Growth Mindset challenge!

I decided to sit somewhere else when I read and studied. In particular, I set up a dedicated reading and writing area in my room! It's in a big comfortable chair with a pillow and a snuggie. (Yes, I actually bought a snuggie, and it's great.)

I have found that I study better when I am comfortable, thus the big comfy chair!

(My study space, image is mine.)
Around my big comfy chair, I added positive quotes. The quotes are mostly about writing, since I am a Professional Writing major! (But, I did sneak a Yoda quote in!)

I also added books I want to read and books for school. I  placed several school supplies nearby for use during studies. In front of the chair is my iPad, because that is what I primarily use.

I think the best thing about my study space is that I also added things that I think are cute or interesting. It helps not make my study space stuffy. (Hence the pile of plushies on the floor. )

I also have a nice lamp, so that I can work with great lighting! (Don't they say it's bad to read when it's dim? I just find that it makes me sleepy if I read when it's dim.)
(My study space, image is mine.)
This actually helped me immensely! I used to study any old place, sometimes even my bed. But having a dedicated spot helps me focus, and the amenities I put near me kept me motivated. (In fact, I am sitting in my study spot as I type this blog post!

Things I think I could improve on with my reading diary:

I need to think more critically. Despite being a strong reader, sometimes I rush through readings. I am gifted with being a fast reader, and I am capable of comprehending things quickly. However, I need to slow down and read things several times in order to gain a more critical understanding of the material. This goes for this class, and my others.

All my classes are very heavy in reading and writing, so I think the speed reading thing is a coping mechanism to get through everything as quick as I can. But, I guess what I am trying to say is that I need to take it a little slower, so that I can really do a great job, and truly understand what I read and write.

This week's Growth Mindset Meme:
(Image from: Laura Gibbs)


3 comments:

  1. Hi there, Lore! Wow, I really like your study space! It looks so nice and comfortable, especially with all those cute stuffed animals (is that a Hatsune Miku doll I spy?)! I wish I could create my own study space, but my room in my apartment is a little to small to create one. :(

    I am a lot like you in that I speed through my readings, especially if they’re assigned reading for class. I think it’s mostly because so much is assigned at once that I just want to blaze through it just to say “I’m done.” Unfortunately, this does not do much for my retention of the material I read, so I would also like to think more critically about what I read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and yes, that is Hatsune Miku! I own a couple other Hatsune Miku things, because, well she's so darn cute! I also love her music.
      Maybe just buy a nice comfortable chair small enough to fit in your apartment, and make that your reading (or writing) area!
      Also, good to hear I'm not the only speed reader!

      Delete
  2. Lauren, this is so cool: somehow I missed this post (I try to watch the growth mindset posts as they come by just because I am so curious about them)... I am glad I noticed it now. I need to find a way to flag and share the specific types of challenges people are trying because I am sure that seeing other people's posts would be an inspiration to try these things... and how great that you shared pictures here so we could SEE what you were writing about. Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?