Sunday, September 13, 2015

Week 3: Storybook Styles

Topic: Vampires

  • Working Title: "Creatures of the Night" 
(Image from: Pixabay)
Stories: The Vampire, His Kith and Kin by Montague Summers, Undead Vampires and Ghost Stories from Russia.

Bibliography: The Vampire, His Kith and Kin (1928) by Monatage Summers, Source: Sacred Texts. Undead: Vampires and Ghost Stories from Russia (1997), edited by: E.L Ashliman, Source: Pitt.

Styles:

First Person or Third Person?

  • First Person: My go-to point-of-view is always First Person, so because of that I will most likely stick with it. I like First Person because your really get into the character's head. You also really have to know your character to do First Person. You also get a better idea of the character's emotions and thoughts in First Person
  • Third Person: I've very rarely written in Third Person. It doesn't come as naturally to me. However, I do like that you're able to describe more in Third Person. Example, in First Person it wouldn't make sense for the character to describe a room in detail, since normal people don't do that in their own heads. In First Person, you can only describe key objects, whereas in Third Person you can describe anything in details.
  • First Person it is! I am used to writing in First Person. I like how I can express emotions and thoughts easier. 
Anthology or Frametale?
  • Anthology: An Anthology gives the writer more freedom. They can be stories with a common theme, that are not necessarily related.
  • Frametale: There needs to be an overarching similarity.
  • An Anthology allows freedom to write stories that are all about vampires, but aren't tied together by a mystery or something. I love to have freedom with what I write, so Anthology it is!
  • I will choose Frametale, since my stories share the topic of Vampires and take place in the same world. It is a simple similiarity, but one nonetheless.
  • Since the stories share those two things in common, I think a Frametale makes more sense for my Storybook than an Anthology would.
  • Frametale it is!
Storytelling Approach?
  • For the most part, I am going to use the world that I have created in some of my stories for my weekly storytelling post. I may even use similar characters. But, I will use Summers and the Russin Myths as inspiration for the stories that I will use in the Storybook.
  • My stories that have the world that I will use for my Storybook are The Vampire Prince's Masquerade and Bloodstained Phantom Kisses.
  • The stories will be short First Person stories with a simple plot. 
  • Being a Framework, the stories will share the theme of Vampires, and will be set in the same world, but will each be different stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?