Thursday, September 17, 2015

Week 4 Extra Reading Diary: Ovid's Metamorphosis Books 5-7 Reading B

Ovid's Metamorphoses Books 5-7

(Madea, by Evelyn de Morgan)
I read Reading A last week for my Extra Reading Diary, so I decided to finish that unit up, with Reading B! (Can you tell that I'm enjoying reading Ovid?)

READING B:
  1. Tereus Married Procne
  2. Tereus Rapes Philomela
  3. Procne's Revenge
  4. Medea and Jason
  5. Jason and the Golden Fleeze
  6. Medea's Spell
  7. Aeson Rejuvenated
  8. Medea and Pelias

Reading Diary:

  • The whole Tereus business was very strange. There just didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. In fact it read like the point of view of a murderer from a crime show or something! I mean, that's literally what he did. He committed a sexual misconduct, and then murdered, and dismembered her body, it sounded just like something I've seen on the Investigation Discovery Channel (a channel that only plays shows about true crime.)
  • "The sun god has circled the twelve signs, and a year has passed" GREAT line.
  • "Now is not a time for tears, but for the sword" Another great line.
  • Procne and Philomena turning into a Nightingale and a swallow
  • The idea of Gods opposing you
  • The part with Madea was cute. It reminded me of a Young Adult skewing younger (like 12-13), of a girl's first crush. The whole "do I tell him or don't I?" I think I liked it the most because it felt like such a modern concept, but apparently even in the Ancients struggled with this dilemma!
  • Calming a dragon (which I am under the impression is most definitely not an easy task!)
  • The incantations and invocations of the spell was really cool. 
  • How the spell brought down a chariot that she could ride to collect the right herbs.
  • Concept of giving your years to someone else.
  • Using a cauldron.
  • I am assuming that Madea is some sort of witch? (or was using magic more common in the Ancient days?)
  • Maenads are the female followers of Dionysus, very cool.
  • Another Modred and King Arthur sort of situation, also very Game of Thrones!
  • Draining their blood and filling it with new blood sounds so much like vampires, and how they create new vampires.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I like the prompt for your comment area (your thoughts?). Very nice! Anyways, I like how you used bullet points in order to keep your thoughts while reading concise. And I like how you had links to each individual story in that unit b versus just having the link to the unit!

    My only suggestion to you would be to make a note of which story you are commenting on while writing out the notes for your diary. What I mean by that is that you could break up your bullet points and use the story titles to break it up into their own sections. So you would still have all of your notes in one place, yet would remember which story it came from and why.

    All around, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your feedback, and that is exceptionally good advice! I'm not sure why I haven't been doing that! So, I will do that for sure in my future diary posts! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?