Thursday, September 3, 2015

Week 2: Review


My favorite thing from the current announcement was:

(Image from: OU Course Announcement)
Why this is my favorite:
I agree with Professor Gibbs when she said that she's a fan of libraries! I am as well, and this probably due to my also being a strong advocate for reading.

This reminds me of the most terrifying episode of The Twilight Zone. It was the episode called "The Obsolete Man". The episode portrays a possible future in which the job of a librarian was obsolete and is sentenced to death. (Could you imagine?)
(Burgess Mereditch as Romney Wordsworth in The Obsolete Man)





My Quote of the Week:
"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." -Stephen King

I know this seems like a simple concept, but it's actually not an easy thing to do (when you are serious about writing.)

When you're a professional writer, you can't just write when you feel inspired--you have to write every single day.

Additionally, I cannot stress enough how important reading is! The more you read, the better your writing will be, seriously.

Go read a book, and then see how much your writing improves, I dare you!

Upcoming Events:
Every Monday at 5:45 at YogaLife in Norman, are Hoop Dancing Classes! There are also Hoop Dancing classes Tuesdays at 6:30 at Teaze in Oklahoma City.

I go to the ones at Teaze and they are SO much fun! Kelsey teaches at both classes, and she is amazing. She also makes dance hoops. So, you don't need to buy a dance hoop for the class--she has many of them for use in class-but, if you like hoop dancing, you can buy a dance hoop from her. That way you can practice at home.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I just noticed your post: I love that episode of Twilight Zone! That is such a genius show in terms of the writing also, such a creative and focused genre. I've often thought it would be really fun to teach a writing workshop that would involve watching a ton of Twilight Zone episodes, learning the techniques, and then writing episodes of our own together. It's a genre I think you could master in just a few weeks, and it has unlimited potential of course. It's one of those shows that I watched all the time as a little kid (reruns in the 1970s) which I still love to watch even now.
    Anyway, thanks for all the good thoughts here and for the announcements I can use too. Super! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?