Monday, October 12, 2015

Week 8 Reflections: Looking Back

(Image from: GrowthMindsetMemes)
Writing:
To be honest, I am really happy with all of the stories that I wrote! If I have to pick favorites, my top three favorite stories that I wrote are:
  1. The Vampire Prince's Masquerade
  2. Bloodstained Phantom Kisses
  3. Matty Was Missing
(But all of my stories feel like my babies, and I love them all, and so I hate to pick favorites!)

I've also been proud of my Curation Spaces and Famous Last Words posts. My favorite Curation Spaces post is from Week 6, and my favorite Famous Last Words post is from Week 5.

My project is going well. I'm happy with how my page looks, and the content of it so far. I'm happy with my preface and my first story, The Vampire Prince. (Who is the brother of the prince in The Vampire Prince's Masquerade!)

 It is exactly what I wanted  my Storybook to look like, and it seems to have received positive reception so far! I wanted it to be a very dark and creepy Storybook. I strive to bring back those fearsome, but sensual vampires akin to the best of the best: Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles!  

(As many of you know, I am writing a novel, and that is exactly what I am trying to do in my novel. My storybook is just another example of my push for vampires that are creepy (but still sexy) and very dangerous monsters!

I was most impressed with Kristin Murto's Storybook. Hers is about mermaids, and I really liked it just because it is a supernatural creature that I don't hear about often. But I also liked it because how personal the introduction was to the main character, and the layout of her project is stunning.

Reading:
My two favorite readings so far are Cupid and Psyche and the story of Pyramus and Thisbe from Ovid's Metamorphosis. I loved all of the lies and anonymity concepts from Cupid and Psyche, and the theme from Pyramus and Thisbe of the wall between them really made a big impression on me as well.

I learned that I sometimes rush the reading, as in I read it too fast and therefore do not comprehend it as fully as I should. But as of lately, I have tried not to do that as much.

Interactions
I've taken online classes before, but none of them felt as personal as this one does! I feel like through the blogs I have a better grasp of who each person is in the class. The blogs really bring out the uniqueness of each person. In fact, I feel like I know the people in this class better than the people in classes that I physically go to. This may also be because I am a very shy person, so I am much better at communicating through comments or posts on these blogs than I am in person.

The scheduling for this class is hard. I always try to make this class just a MWF class or a TTH class, but it never works out that way. Unfortunately, my procrastination often gets the best of me and I end up waiting until the night of to complete the work.

Time
As I briefly mentioned above, I tried to set this up as a MWF or TTH class, and even set a 1-2 hour time gap set out to work on Mythology in. However, this often gets forgotten due to sleeping in, or focusing too much on the other classes. So, as I said earlier, I end up finishing things last moment. Every now and then I work ahead on something, but I never get the whole scheduling thing down.

Location
I work at home most of the time, but on Mondays and Wednesdays my boyfriend and I have a study date at the OU library. He does his homework for his classes, while I do homework for my classes (including Mythology work.) The OU library has several great study areas, and I get a lot done there! We usually get to the library around 8:00 and don't leave until 1 or sometimes 2. (He and I are both quite the night owls!)

Growth Mindset
The first Growth Mindset post I didn't even really know or understand what Growth Mindset is, but by this point I understand what Growth Mindset is and I try to use it when I can.

Curation
This class has gotten me into curating more than I ever have! I spend most of my time now on Pinterest pinning Norse Gods and Goddesses, Norse Mythology, or General Mythology. Norse Mythology is my favorite, so that takes up most of my time. I've also really enjoyed making the Curation Spaces blog posts and sharing the finds that I took the time to pin or bookmark. This class has gotten me into Pinterest way more than I had before.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lore!
    I'm glad you are enjoying this class! To be honest, I feel like i'm running out of creativity! I'm used to writing news all the time, but not so much fiction. It's been a fun class so far though. I have to agree that the interactions in this class are better than traditional classes. We get to know each other on a level that is not typical, and I think that it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lore!
    Your stories are always wonderful for me to read. I have the hardest time some weeks trying to come of up with a drop of creativity and yet it flows from you in abundance. Thank you for giving me hope. I look forward to reading your future stories. I love that you and your boyfriend have study dates. I study with mine now because sometimes that's the only way I get to see him plus I get work done win win!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?