Monday, October 5, 2015

Reading Diary A Japanese Mythology

Myth-Folklore Reading Diary A: Japanese Mythology
(Ninigi Stands Next to Amaterasu)
Reading A:
Izanagi and Izanami
  • Inanagi is the God of the Heavens and Izanami is Goddess of love and beauty.
  • Izanami gave birth to everything: gods, humans, and all creatures.
  • A flower fell down and became the moon.
  • Out of the moon fell more gods, humans and creatures.
  • A floating bridge of heaven (reminds me of the Rainbow Bridge from Norse Mythology)
  • His spear dripped and made an island.
  • I didn't like this part where Izanami was basically like, "Women aren't to speak before spoken to." This surprised me because a lot of old mythology is more focused on the Goddess rather than the God. In fact most "pagan" religions were matriarchal.
  • And the infamous Amaterasu was born!
Izanagi and Izanami (cont.)
  • Amaterasu is the sister of Susanowo is the god of the sea and of storms, and Tsukuyomi is the god of the moon. 
  • This actually has a rainbow bridge. It's interesting when myths are similar.
  • The moon God is morose, turbulent, and sinister.
  • The moon God fell. The trope of the bad or evil son.
  • Ifuya-zaka is the center of the earth
  • Portal of yomi
  • Amaterasu reminds me of an angel of a Valkyrie, the way she swoops down from the heavens into earth.
The Miraculous Mirror
  • Weaving a dark web of doom with darkness and dismay. Makes me think of if faeries wove a web for evil magic. Maybe a curse of sorts?
  • A dragon! I could write a story with a dragon in it! A classic fantasy where the hero slays a dragon.
The Eight-Forked Serpent of Koshi
  • Monstrous fish. Makes me think of a story with sirens or evil water faeries. 
  • The custom that is very Arthurian of, let me do this deed and I will marry your daughter.
  • A person turned into a comb

  • The Heaven-Descended
  • I like the poem included in this. I wonder if it would be good to put a poem into my stories?
  • The celestial realm. Taking the body of the prince to the celestial realm
  • Gaining three items: the necklace of jewels, the sacred sword, and the miraculous mirror.
The Heaven-Descended (cont.)
  • The description of Uzume was...interesting. 
  • The giant taking the fair maiden, very Arthurian.
The Fortunate Fish-Hook
  • A magical fishhook, a magical tool.
  • A cassia tree
  • A secret wedding
The Fortunate Fish-Hook (cont.)
  • I've said it, and it'll say it again--I don't like talking animals!
  • I like the lamentation!
  • I do like the idea of the Raven as a guide.
  • Wearing all of the magic objects for the big quest!
The Labors of Yamato-The Rescue of the Princess
  • The emperor (or King) thinks he is descended from the Gods. Reminds me of Alexander the Great, or Carolus Rex.
  • A siren! Those are always fun.
  • A castle being raided
The Rescue of the Princess (cont.)
  • A jeweled dagger held in one's teeth.
  • And a happy ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?