Sunday, August 23, 2015

My Favorite Place: Tokyo in Tulsa

My favorite place is the anime convention, Tokyo in Tulsa! It's located in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

My boyfriend and I go to 4 anime conventions a year, but Tokyo in Tulsa is our favorite! Our first time going to Tokyo in Tulsa was in 2008. We went again in 2011, and we've been going every year since.

We cosplay at every anime convention we go to!

  • What is cosplay? Cosplay is "costume play" in other words, you don't just dress up in a costume as your favorite anime or video game character like a Halloween costume. You dress up in a costume as a certain character and you act as the character (the play part of cosplay!)
Besides cosplaying, I love anime conventions because:

  • I get to spend 3 days in a building full of people with the exact same interests as me
  • I get to meet a lot of cool people
  • I also get to spend 3 days with my beyond wonderful boyfriend
  • And, it's literally the most fun place in the world (in my humble and nerdy opinion!)

My boyfriend and I at Tokyo in Tulsa 2015
But, as I said, my favorite convention is Tokyo in Tulsa.
Tokyo in Tulsa is my favorite because it's smaller and has a great community sort of feel. Because of that it's really easy to make friends there, and that makes the convention all the more fun.
All the friends I made at Tokyo in Tulsa 2015

Another great thing that's unique to Tokyo in Tulsa, that adds to its great community, is that it has an opening ceremony on the first day of the convention, and a closing ceremony on the last day! The ceremonies also introduce charities that they always have.

The convention always has a theme of something anime or sci-if related pitted against something else. You can donate to the charity in the name of either one, and whichever one had the most donated to wins! For example, next years theme is Mecha (or giant robots) VS Pirates. (You can bet that I'm voting pirates!)

The best part of any convention is that you feel like you're a part of something great, and that's exactly how Tokyo in Tulsa makes you feel.

If you like anime and you're in driving distance, I definitely recommend that you go! You will not regret going, I'm fact: you will thank me.

I look forward to going back to my favorite place, Tokyo in Tulsa, next year and for years to come!

1 comment:

  1. WOW, Lauren, Tokyo in Tulsa is something I had not heard about before: how cool!!! And you do cosplay! Excellent! I am guessing you will enjoy this class since it is very much in the spirit of cosplay.

    I heard a great talk about cosplay-for-learning at a conference I went to this summer; here's the video: the speaker was fantastic!
    A Cosplaying Learning Scientist Learns How to Make Learning More Fun!

    Also, one of my all-time favorite Storybooks for this class is one that you might like... here's a link; I thought it was wonderful:
    Tokyo Underworld

    And now I am so curious to see what you will want to make for this class! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?