Thursday, August 27, 2015

Checking Out The UnTextbook: Tentative Schedule


Unit 1: Dante's Inferno

(Illustration by: William Blake)
I have always wanted to read Dante's Inferno, I am simply enamoured by it. I even bought a pretty hardcover copy of it. However, it was too difficult to read. That is why I am so excited that this is a more modern prose version of it! I literally cannot wait to read this.

Unit 2: Alice in Wonderland
(Illustration by: Sir John Tenniel)
I loved the Disney movie version of Alice in Wonderland, and always wanted to read the book. So given a chance to pick that? Yes, please! What I've always liked about Alice in Wonderland is how fantastical and creative it is. I think reading this will help my own writing, since I enjoy writing fantasy. I look forward to reading Alice in Wonderland!

Unit 3:  Alice's Looking Glass

I figured that since I'm reading Alice in Wonderland, that I should also read the sequel! Not to mention that the sequel has the classic lineup of Alice in Wonderland characters such as the Queen of Hearts.

Unit 4: Kalevala

I listen to Finnish music (metal bands,) and I love Norse mythology. I also love epics written in a oral tradition (Beowulf,) so Kalevala sounds really interesting! I look forward to reading this.

Unit 5: The Faerie Queen-Britomart

I chose the Faerie Queen because, I had read part of it in a literature class, and I really enjoyed it! The only issue before was that it was difficult to read, so I am very excited to read this prose version. I'm sure that this prose version is much easier to read.

Unit 6: Mabinogion

I've heard about the Mabinogion, so I'm very curious to find out what it's about! It sounds like it has a good about of fantasy, supernatural, and magical sort of happenings, which is right up my alley! I'm also interested in it because it mimics the original Welsh language. Finally, I want to read it to learn about Taliesin, who sounds like a very interesting character.

Unit 7: The Decameron

This was recommended to me by my boyfriend, who is taking a minor in Classics. I trust his opinion, and I enjoy Classical literature, so this ended up on my list!

Unit 8: Celtic Fairy Tales I

I wanted to read fairy tales, and these Celtic Fairy Tales looked like the most interesting fairy tales to me.


Since I'm taking the first unit, I thought I should take the second!

Unit 10: Ovid I

I enjoy Classics, and I've always wanted to read this! Also, it was recommended to me from my boyfriend. He told me I should take all three units, and so I did!

Unit 11: Ovid II

Unit 12: Ovid III

Unit 13: Homer's Illiad

Another I've always wanted to read!

Unit 14: Homer's Odyssey

Again, I always wanted to read this.

Unit 15: Japanese Myth

I'm interested in Japanese culture, and via anime I've been exposed to some Japanese mythology. I look forward to reading the primary sources that anime has borrowed from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?