Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Reading Diary B: Alice in Wonderland

Myth-Folklore Reading Unit: Alice in Wonderland
(Image from Pixabay)
Reading A:
1. Down the Rabbit-Hole
  • Chasing the white rabbit.
  • Falling down a seemingly never ending tunnel.
2. Down the Rabbit-Hole (cont.)
  • The "Drink Me" Bottle that makes her smaller.
  • I never realized how much internal dialogue is in this.
3. Down the Rabbit-Hole (end)
  • The "Eat Me" Cake that makes her bigger.
  • Crying so much that it makes a sea of tears. (Talk about "cry me a river.")
  • I never realized how nonsensical her thoughts can be.
  • There was no story of the Walrus and the Oysters, was that something purely concieved for the Disney movie?
4. Advice from a Caterpillar
  • This conversation was quite circular. Reminds me of Absurdist literature like Samuel Beckett's play, "Waiting For Godot". It has a lot of circular sort of dialogue that is seen in, for example, this scene with Alice and the Caterpillar.
5. Advice from a Caterpillar (cont.)
  • A story within a story. The story has stanzas and is sort of poetic.
  • Eating mushrooms. Reminds me of the first story of Italo Calvino, "Marcovaldo" which has a lot of mushrooms. Marcovaldo is  set of short stories that are Neo-Realist, Modernist, and Fantasy. I don't think there really is a direct correlation, but since I just read Calvino's story, I can see a parallel. 
6. Advice from a Caterpillar (end)
  • The pidgeon thinks that she is a serpent.
  • I remember this being a small part of the Disney rendition of this.
7. Pig and Pepper
  • An invitation to the queen to play croquet.
  • More nonsensical, circular, absurdist dialogue.
  • I do like how no one ever gives straight answers in this book. It's a nice inspiration to add into my novel or in future stories for this class.
  • "Why does your cat smile like that?" "Because it's a Cheshire Cat, of course!" Yay, I'm so glad to finally see the Cheshire cat.
8. Pig and Pepper (cont)
  • The Duchess says, "Off with her head!" The famous line.
  • Another song.
  • A baby pig? This was not in the movie at all. I could see why, it is a very strange story.
9. Pig and Pepper (end)
  • The Cheshire Cat!
  • More circular dialogue.
  • All that is visible is the cat's grin.
  • The Mad Hatter and the Marsh Hare! I do hope that a tea party will ensue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?